A recent article on Monster.com resonated with me today, particularly as we welcome spring and all the freshness it has to offer. It gives 5 easy steps for updating your resume and I highly recommend you give it a try. Here are the five steps in a nutshell:
1. Start with a new look and lingo. The author recommends getting rid of the “job objective” field and tossing out some of the “old lingo.”
2. Forget about snail mail and boost your social profile. Did you know that 84% of employers are now recruiting via social media?
3. Look Alive! Use words that describe your outstanding work. Forget about “responsible for” and use action verbs!
4. Discard the funky FONTS. You know what that means!
5. References are a given that they are available on request. Don’t waste resume space that you could be using to describe your wonderful attributes by listing who they should call.
Here’s the article if you want to read more and, remember, I’m here if you would like some help and perspective.